June 12, 2007

re- parade!

Sunny was SO awesome. Believe it or not, he was the only horse in the parade! He had a lot of new things to look at, and there were TONS of distracting noises. He was perfect. No one could guess that it was his first parade. He walked calmly along while the band played ahead, streamers waved, engines revved, and kids were running all around him. We were with my 4-H group, and the theme of the parade was "back to the farm". So... we had a calf, a sheep, and a chicken besides him! It was hilarious, while the pictures were being taken of our group, Sunny was trying to take a bite out of the calf and possibly the sheep too, and it was a good thing he couldn't reach the chicken! I think he was fascinated by the texture of their hair.
I was using the borrowed saddle, and it came with a blue fleece pad and blue breastplate. I had a flag stuck through the saddle, and I wore faded jeans, my old boots, and my Curly contest T-shirt (of course!) He looked great. I would have loved to wear my cowboy hat instead of my helmet (small town parade, it was only three blocks for heavens sake!) Oh well.
Then we took him to a friends house to stay overnight in their round pen. I went to church with them the next day and gave a mini presentation on my upcoming missions trip to Peru.
Then, it was a rush to the show (that I didn't show in :( and after that we went on a trail ride and rode around the show grounds for quite awhile. I realized that day that I had left my bridle in the truck that Dad drove back to town, so I made do with the extra lead that I HAD remebered and fastened reins to his halter. It was pretty cool how well behaved he was with just the halter and lead ropes. He normally is, but I didn't know exactly what to expect with him being with strange horses and going to a busy showgrounds. Perfect, perfect!
happy trails, shows, parades, whatever!

No comments: