May 21, 2007

loping woes

Sunny tries to convince me that he doesn't know how to lope correctly and can only speed canter. I have always known that that is wrong, but he proved it to me today. He's feeling pretty fresh since I gave him a well-deserved rest yesterday and havn't yet been on him today. I go out to see him and he comes towards me at a lope. A prize-winning western pleasure lope. He didn't care that a called him a little stinker since I had brought him a "bouqet" of clover and horse weed- his favorites.
Well, it wasn't one of those lopes that you see sometimes where the horse looks dead and you have to wonder how in the world he was trained to go that slow and not trip- but it was a very nice swinging lope that would be more than acceptable at the small shows I like to go to. humph.
My goal this summer is to get him to do that for me once- not even necessarily in an arena, just out on a trail ride.
And after I get him good at what I want in Western my goal is... to go back and get the nice canter and forward motion trot for English. What is wrong with this picture anyway?

No comments: