May 09, 2007

Ride a Curly contest

Sunny and I are participating in a really awesome contest, where I track hours in the saddle and events we attend. So far it's been really fun, and it is pushing me to get out and spend time in the outdoors with my awesome horse! That's good, since it's really improving my relationship with Sunny. Just the word contest helps... though I am viewing it as a personal contest, not as one with other people. We've missed a few days due to bad weather, and some days we don't ride as long as others. The key is to listen to the horse. If Sunny is tired and/or hot, it's not a good day to ride for hours. If he's feeling fresh and full of it, it's a good time to go for a long ride or work on our arena skills.
The contest started May 1, and already we have had so many adventures! Sunny has gotten over his fear of cows (at least somewhat, I am waiting to see long term results) we have explored a new road, galloped down a farm lane, seen baby geese, and generally have had a fun time!
I am very excited to begin to see results in our relationship, and I'm sure it will only improve as we continue to work together. It is also wonderful to see more people come to learn about the amazing Curly horse. (I really can't keep my mouth shut about them :)

1 comment:

penella22 said...

Cara, so glad to see you've started a blog! Its a great way to let the rest of us share your adventures. :-) I also find that I love looking back at the entries I wrote about Sage a year ago. It helps me realize how much progress we really *have* made. It sounds like you've had so many adventures!!! I've ridden only once so far but hopefully that will change soon! Either way it is really fun to be in a contest isn't it???