May 16, 2007

what we have been up to

Monday:
Sunny and I went for a brief ride in the evening. I had a friend coming over, so when they showed up we came back. Sunny got the usual compliments ;-) My friend Haley's first comment was, "His mane looks like it has been highlighted!" It's true. Poor Sunny is turning white at age 4. Of course, it isn't any more white than the picture of him as a yearling that I found on the internet, so I guess he's not going to turn into an ancient decrepit horse any time soon.
While we were out, I was working his foxtrot. I see out of the corner of my eye some big insect come up, and I guess it stung him since he jerked left- and fell into a small hole. (The grass was super long to the side of the mowed path) Then, in his panic to get out of the hole, he jerked to the left again- and fell into the drainage pipe hole! I stuck with him, but as soon as he was back on solid ground again I got off and checked him over. He was fine, which I had already guessed by the way he was calmly cropping the grass. Other than that, the ride was uneventful!
Tuesday, I didn't ride because it was Mom's birthday and I was in the kitchen all morning, first baking a cake (from scratch even!) ;-) and then making lunch- the big birthday meal. Then in the p.m. it was rainy and stormy. Then this morning, the perfect day to ride, he colics again. I am going to be looking into the ulcer possibility, since it is just not normal for a horse to colic so much. I know for a fact that the grass is not causing it, since he has also had a few episodes where there was snow on the ground!
So I am planning on keeping an eye on that, and still am hoping to make it to the show on Saturday.

No comments: